Before I forget what I did, let me write it down!
I tweaked the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake and the result was so good. I think it is better and moister today than yesterday when I made it, which I take as a very good sign. Anyway, here were my changes:
use 1 cup buttermilk in place of regular milk
raise baking soda to 2 teaspoons
use 3 large eggs instead of two
As with my normal baking habits, I bring the ingredients to room temperature before starting, as this makes the cake cook better and prevents a cake that rises too much in the middle.
I also baked the cake at 325 degrees and extended the baking time for five minutes in yet another effort to have a level cake. It was absolutely perfect. Danielle says THIS version is her birthday cake. I think it is good since I am planning on using the fondant. The cake is light and rises enough to be delicious but I think it is substantial enough to stand up to the heavier icing. We shall see.
use 1 cup buttermilk in place of regular milk
raise baking soda to 2 teaspoons
use 3 large eggs instead of two
As with my normal baking habits, I bring the ingredients to room temperature before starting, as this makes the cake cook better and prevents a cake that rises too much in the middle.
I also baked the cake at 325 degrees and extended the baking time for five minutes in yet another effort to have a level cake. It was absolutely perfect. Danielle says THIS version is her birthday cake. I think it is good since I am planning on using the fondant. The cake is light and rises enough to be delicious but I think it is substantial enough to stand up to the heavier icing. We shall see.