Missing my Family

This week is a total contradiction to me.  Last year this time I was just coming back home and getting settled after being in Afghanistan for a tour.  There is nothing to make you appreciate your family like being away from them.  Last year was a great Thanksgiving.  We spent it in San Antonio with my parents, and I ended up doing most of the cooking since that isn't my mom's favorite thing to do.  


This year I am completely by myself.  I'm starting a new job on base tomorrow, so I'm happy about that.  Coincidentally, the kids started asking about seeing their father recently.  My logical mind thought that maybe if they got to visit their father, then they wouldn't be home alone on school vacation while I was working and unable to spend time with them.  I'm glad they will be with their father, but they've been gone less than 24 hours and the house is so quiet I can't stand it.


I should have gone to church this morning, but after Danielle's slumber party on Friday night I had ended up functioning on 1 1/2 hours of sleep and driving almost 400 miles to drop the kids off at a designated spot halfway between my and their father's home.  I woke up around  9:30 this morning, which is really late for me.


So, this afternoon I will go to choir practice and to the Thanksgiving service and therefore, that brings me to what I'm doing today--baking a cake.  Ha!  If the request is to bring food, you're usually going to get a dessert from me.  The food for today's event is a chocolate caramel cake.  Sounds very good, but this is my first attempt.   Of course, I will post everything when I am done...unless it's a total disaster, of course.  
0 Responses