Learning About Me...and Marshmallow Fondant

I have been learning a lot about myself over these past weeks.  Well, to be honest I've been learning about myself for months now.  The way we get caught up in a rut and don't expand beyond what we grow accustomed to is kind of sad.  These days I have learned that I am seriously not the best housekeeper.  That was a little of a disappointment.  I have learned that I really love to bake and I am really interested in learning how to decorate cakes.  I have a fascination with fondant that I need to explore.  I checked out three books at the library yesterday...two were strictly decorating and one was baking.  While I am not thrilled with any of them, I think I have some new directions.

Anyway, here is a recipe for Marshmallow Buttercream Fondant that I got from Cake Central that I am dying to try.  Sounds easier than standard fondant and better tasting, too.  I love the way fondant looks, but the taste normally leaves a lot to be desired.


Ingredients

  • ¼ Cup Crisco, used for kneading the dough
    2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, used to grease the bowl for melted marshmallows
    8 Cups Mini Marshmallows, very loosely packed
    2½ Tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
    2½ Tsp Clear Butter Flavored Extract
    ½ Tsp Salt
    3 Tbsp Water
    1 Tbsp. Corn Syrup, helps with pliability
    2 Lbs Powdered Sugar
    2 Tbsp. Dream Whip

Instructions

    Grease the inside of a large microwavable bowl with butter.
    Put marshmallows, vanilla, butter flavor and water in bowl.
    Microwave on high for 60 seconds. If marshmallows are completely melted your ready, if not stir and return to microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Add in corn syrup.
    Fit mixer with the dough hook and pour in powdered sugar, dream whip and salt, mix well. Carefully add in the liquefied marshmallow mixture to powdered sugar mixture. Mix at low speed until incorporated. Turn mixer up to low/medium speed to knead until majority of sugar is blended in. **There may be a little that will not mix in-that’s ok. You can hand knead that in, if the dough is to soft.**
    Turn fondant onto a flat surface that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Knead fondant until smooth and pliable. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap than a ziplock bag. Let dough rest for at least an hour until it has cooled. If fondant has become to stiff to work with place in microwave for 10-15 seconds than rub your hands with shortening and knead until pliable again.
    Fondant can be made up to 2 weeks in advance as long as it is wrapped and sealed up tightly.
    **to change flavors try different extracts**
    Coconut MMF- change- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 tsp. butter extract, 2 tsp coconut extract, change 3 tbsp. water to 3 tbsp. coconut milk
    White chocolate MMF- 7 cups marshmallows and 4 oz. melted white chocolate, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp butter extract
    Chocolate MMF- 7 cups marshmallows and 1/2 cup melted baking chocolate, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp butter extract
0 Responses